You can also tweak this recipe to your own tastes...more or less canned tomatoes, bacon or ham, red onion or white...I also like throwing fresh, diced tomatoes in my bowl before serving.
Black Bean Soup
adapted from Half Assed Kitchen
1 medium onion (I like red), minced
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
Olive or canola oil
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (I like the flavored beans...southwest flavor, or beans with cumin and/or lime)
32 ounces beef broth
14-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
cooked bacon to taste, optional
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon thyme
1-2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Toppings:
Sour cream
Lime wedges
Cilantro
Green onion
Sauté onion (and celery if you use it) in olive oil over medium heat. Add black beans, broth, tomatoes, bacon if using, cumin, thyme, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Let simmer, covered but vented, for at least an hour.
Spoon into bowls and top with desired toppings.
Note: The original recipe calls for ham. I've also thrown in diced, cooked chicken breast instead. You can also make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth and skipping the meat or adding tofu. I hadn't used balsamic vinegar in my black bean soup until I found this recipe, but I really like the added flavor.

2 comments:
Yummy
Looks great!!!
Post a Comment