A friend of mine sent me an email, basically daring me to make these brownies. They're as simple as you can get - a box of brownie mix and black beans. Beans.
Personally, I kind of liked them. Now, they fall in the category of I'm-trying-to-watch-what-I-eat-but-I-need-some-chocolate. J took one bite, just about gagged, quickly took a drink of milk and said, "I don't like my brownies gelatinous." I, along with other reviewers, described these as "fudgy" but J couldn't disagree more.
I'd actually make these again. I kind of like to try these with a homemade brownie instead and truly make them a little more healthy, since the boxed mix has artificial sweeteners and is, of course, very processed. Nevertheless, I'd label these interesting and edible, if not somewhat enjoyable. They certainly served their purpose, which was squelching my chocolate fix.
Personally, I kind of liked them. Now, they fall in the category of I'm-trying-to-watch-what-I-eat-but-I-need-some-chocolate. J took one bite, just about gagged, quickly took a drink of milk and said, "I don't like my brownies gelatinous." I, along with other reviewers, described these as "fudgy" but J couldn't disagree more.
I'd actually make these again. I kind of like to try these with a homemade brownie instead and truly make them a little more healthy, since the boxed mix has artificial sweeteners and is, of course, very processed. Nevertheless, I'd label these interesting and edible, if not somewhat enjoyable. They certainly served their purpose, which was squelching my chocolate fix.
1 box reduced sugar brownie mix
15 oz can black beans
Rinse and drain beans. Add water in can to cover beans. Puree. Add to brownie mix. Cook in 8x8 pan according to box directions.

5 comments:
Mmmm...I've made these - I think some of it depends on the kind of boxed mix you use - I always thought they were fudgy and really liked them!
I think you can also do a cake mix and a can of pumpkin...
I've seen several Black Bean Brownie recipes out there, but this is the easiest. All the others I've come across are from scratch. Hmmmmm... what did your kids think? By the way, my security word for this comment is "mixer"--how appropriate.
I'd make them just to try it out. Curious to know what you and others used for the box mix.
Is it bad that I just have no desire to make a healthy brownie? If you're going to have a brownie, by all means, DO IT RIGHT!!!
Gelatinous??? You can have mine :)
Post a Comment