Thursday, March 18, 2010

Coconut Brigadeiros

So I bought some coconut milk forever ago and hadn't used it yet. Originally, it was supposed to be for coconut rice pudding, but I since found a recipe for that that I liked better and didn't require coconut milk.

I was in the mood to make something the other day with it, so I started hunting down recipes. I came up with these little things called Coconut Brigadeiros, which is a Brazilian treat. Coconut fudge or "truffle" is definitely a good description for them. While they were good, I'm not sure if I'd make them again or not. The cooking time was waaaaay longer than the recipe states and they tasted fine, but didn't knock my socks off. I still have some in the fridge, I need to try them again to see if I like them more.

With the remaining coconut milk, I found a recipe for blueberry muffins. These, on the other hand, were divine. I'll post a pic of these when I pull the rest of them out of the freezer. J and Banany loved the muffins, and he doesn't even like coconut. Oh wait, I "forgot" to tell him they're made with coconut milk (insert evil laugh here).

Having said all that (oh my...this is the post that will never end), I'm not sure I'd buy coconut milk specifically to make these recipes. However, I'd make either of these again if I had the milk for something else.





Coconut Milk Fudge (Coconut Brigadeiros)
adapted from Smitten Kitchen and the New York Times

1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter (salted will give the candy more contrast)
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut (I lightly toasted mine, for crunch)

In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine condensed milk, coconut milk, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk constantly until fudgy. The recipe notes that when mixture is ready, it will pull together into one soft piece, leaving browned residue on bottom of pan and that this should take 8 to 10 minutes. This took me 30 to 40 minutes, and the candy began taking on a beige, caramelized color.

Slide mixture into a bowl. (Don’t scrape the pan; leave any residue behind.) Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until very firm, at least 4 hours.

Scoop out teaspoonfuls of the mixture and use your hands to roll into balls, about 3/4-inch in diameter. Set aside on a baking sheet.

Place toppings (I used finely chopped semi sweet chocolate, graham cracker crumbs, and coconut) in wide bowls and roll brigadeiros through them, covering the surface completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, or refrigerate for up to 1 month. Serve at room temperature.

6 comments:

Kari said...

Someone told me to try that in coffee. Are you a coffee drinker? Let me know what you think. I also do not like coconut, so can't say will try anyway. : )

lil' mama said...

Kari, Luke and I love coconut creamer in our coffee so I bet this would be just as yummy!

Sally said...

I'm not a big coconut fan but I gobbled these up! I liked them cold

C Love said...

Vivs,
These were a treat I enjoyed (love coconut!). I'd agree, not sure I'd buy the milk to make them but would if I had it!

cathy said...

oh yum. seriously. yum.

Kari said...

Katie, I have a friend that has been trying to go more organic and less processed. She has been telling me I need to try this instead of creamer. Maybe I will go try a swig of Vivi's in my coffee and see how it is. : )
I bet you guys would like it.

Vivi, do you drink coffee? Does it have a strong coconut taste???