Friday, March 5, 2010

Just Your Typical Friday

I took Meaty to the doctor while Banany was at school. He said he's guessing it's whooping cough or pneumonia. Great. Whooping cough? Didn't we get immunized for that? Why, yes we did. We'll get the lab results back in a day or two and know for sure. In the meantime, we're all set up with antibiotics, steroids and a bronchodilator, which we'll use to nebulize him. Meaty was a champ at the doctor, though he didn't really dig getting a tiny q-tip shoved waaaay up his nose for the whooping cough swab...not something you like to watch your child have to suffer through.

You'd think that would be enough excitement for the day, but it wasn't. My brother-in-law, B, had picked Banany up from school for me, so Meaty and I were just sitting on the kitchen floor with the nebulizer. B busts into house and frantically says, "Do you have a fire extinguisher?!?!? Your neighbor's house is on fire!"

Sure enough, it was.

The neighbor's garage was open, but the owner was snowmobiling, so no one was home. It was too smoky for B to head in with the fire extinguisher, but he was able to move the guy's truck out of the driveway. The fire got very big very fast. Stuff was popping and cracking like crazy and I was worried the remaining truck in the driveway would explode. A friend who lives about 3 blocks away saw the fire from her house....huge flames and massive swirling cloud of dark gray smoke.

It seemed like it took the fire department forever to get here, but it's certainly one of those situations where everything seems to move in slow motion. Once they started working, the massive flames were out fairly quickly, but there is extensive damage done to the house.

Fortunately, no one was hurt and they even got the dog out safely. But that is the closest to a house fire I EVER want to be.






5 comments:

Kari said...

We were watching it from our house. I can't believe B went over there. It must not have been that big yet?

I did think it took a long time for fire fighters to get there. We were surprised by that.

I am glad everyone was ok, including the dog. Yuck. I hope they were taken care of tonight.


Glad to hear that Meaty is getting some meds so he can start feeling better.

Hilary said...

Makes for an exciting night here in the neighborhood! Everyone is talking about it!

Heather said...

so weird-happened here yesterday too. A couple houses down from our old house. 6 fire trucks and a couple hours later....same thing. Started in the garage, then several loud BOOMS due to fuel in the vehicles and tires popping.

Sally said...

Praying for a speedy recovery for M.

cathy said...

um... well... that makes my friday look like snoozeville. thank goodness for doctors, and i hope meaty gets MUCH better soon.