Thursday, January 8, 2009

Healthy Muffins

If you've been reading my blog for a while now, you might be aware of my quasi-obsession with muffins. I'm so fascinated by the hundreds of ingredients you can put into them. Now, really, there's nothing all that unique about this particular recipe, other than the fact that these are very healthy.

J won't touch these with a 5 foot pole because if he's going to eat a muffin, it had better be sweet, and if possible, ooey-gooey. I love these though. Maybe because I think I'm being all healthy (they pack a couple of the power foods...blueberries and walnuts) and heart smart (0% cholesterol) when I eat a couple of these with a bowl of cottage cheese for breakfast. Or maybe I'm trying to undo the 5 cookies I ate yesterday, but I really do like them!


The Ultimate Healthy Muffins
adapted from recipezaar.com

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/8 cup
wheat germ
1 1/4 teaspoons
baking soda
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups
buttermilk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon
cinnamon
1 1/4 cups blueberries

Preheat oven to 350°F. If making your own "buttermilk" prepare ahead of time. Whisk eggs, applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla together in bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Slowly add wet mixture to dry. Do not overmix. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon into greased muffin cups. (Batter doesn't rise much, so its okay to fill them to the top.).
Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
My notes: The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup of a sugar substitute (except if you use Stevia, you only need a little). I actually omit the sugar all together because I'm ok with the taste without it (ok, ok...truth be told...the first time I made these, I forgot the sugar but now that's how them!). I also added the walnuts at the last minute, after I'd put the batter into the muffin pan. Next time, I'll actually include it into the batter.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I am making these this weekend! Did you use fresh or frozen blueberries? I always have frozen on hand and wonder if they work the same.
Thanks for the great receipies Vivi! A girl from my volleyball team made a really good carrot and raisin muffin. All the kids here ate them up in a day!
Have fun shopping. Happy B-day coming up!

Vivi said...

Great Kari! I'll be curious how you like them! Sorry, I forgot to include that I used frozen blueberries, which I also always have on hand. Yum...carrot raisin muffins...

Thanks - looking VERY forward to shopping!