She raved about this Chinese Hot and Sour soup (way back on day 13) and it just sounded really good to me, so I tried it tonight. I was not disappointed. It's simple and healthy, but has nice flavor, especially if you add some more rice vinegar to your personal serving before slurping this up. I also LOVE the flavor of sesame oil, so I added just a little extra of that while I was throwing everything in.
adapted from A Year of Crockpotting
cooked, diced chicken
2 cups chicken broth
cups water
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1 can bamboo shoots
1 can sliced water chestnuts
2 cups chicken broth
cups water
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1 can bamboo shoots
1 can sliced water chestnuts
diced celery (I used about 3 stalks)
diced carrots (I used about a cup)
2T soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2T soy sauce (I used low sodium)
1t sesame oil
2T rice wine vinegar (and some more later)
1/4t red pepper flakes (and some more later)
green onion for garnish
Combine everything in your crockpot.
Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high 4-5. Taste. If you need more of the sour flavor, add more rice wine vinegar. If you need more of the hot flavor, add more red pepper flakes. I like my soup pretty hot and sour, so I added about another 1tbl of the vinegar and another 1/2 tsp of the pepper flakes. Garnish with sliced green onion.
2T rice wine vinegar (and some more later)
1/4t red pepper flakes (and some more later)
green onion for garnish
Combine everything in your crockpot.
Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high 4-5. Taste. If you need more of the sour flavor, add more rice wine vinegar. If you need more of the hot flavor, add more red pepper flakes. I like my soup pretty hot and sour, so I added about another 1tbl of the vinegar and another 1/2 tsp of the pepper flakes. Garnish with sliced green onion.
My notes: I used a 6 quart crock pot. Crockpot lady used 1 cup of firm cubed tofu, but I used about 1 1/2 cooked, diced chicken breasts instead. I also added celery and carrots (whatever amount you want). I cooked mine on low for 9 hours, but that's just the timing that worked out. I could have easily eaten it a few hours earlier too.

1 comment:
Bookmarked the crockpot blog. Love it and love my crockpot!
Post a Comment