Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Eat This, Not That! Book Review

I thought I'd try my hand at a book review of sorts. My sister-in-law was intrigued by this book and asked me to blog about it. I figured it is related to food, so why not?


We can't remember exactly where we first heard about this book (the yellow one (shown below) was put out first), but J and I were very curious about it right off the bat. It was timely since we were both trying to lose some weight and the book had some very reasonable, but sometimes surprising suggestions. If you've caught the Today show when they've interviewed this guy, you may have heard some of the comparisons. For instance...


Eat This
at Starbucks:
Black Forest Ham, Egg and Cheddar Breakfast Sandwich
and a Grande Sugar Free Nonfat Vanilla Latte
510 calories
16 g fat
21 g sugars


Not That
at Starbucks:
Bran Muffin with Nuts
and a Grande 2% White Chocolate Mocha
890 calories
37 g fat
82 g sugars


I actually like the three books equally. If you eat fast food a lot, I'd suggest starting with the yellow one, Eat This Not That The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution first. If you eat at home more, I'd start with the Eat This Not That Supermarket Survival Guide. And obviously, if you have kids, I'd go with the Eat This Not That! for Kids.


What I like about these books:
  • Reader friendly with glossy pages and nice pictures
  • Some really reasonable, comparable, doable swap outs
  • Not everything on the "eat this" page is organic or the most expensive
  • Countless tips and facts throughout the book



What I don't like about these books:

  • Some of the swap outs are kind of silly (give your kid grilled fish instead of chicken nuggets...by all means, if your child will eat that, do it, but I was looking for which nuggets are the least offensive...)
  • Some of the swap outs can be confusing (the "eat this" item had more fat and higher calories than the "not that" item...which he often explains)
Supermarket Guide

Food Swaps - lots of fast food options


I've never read a self-help book of any kind without taking it with a grain of salt. No pun intended, but that was good, wasn't it? But I was very pleased with these books. We own weight loss one, we're going to buy the kid one soon and I'd like to get the supermarket one as well. I'd recommend checking it out at the library or bookstore and perusing it first. I think you might be hooked.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

They should have a picture of the 5 of us on the "Not That" side!

lil' mama said...

Sold!

Nice book review. I'm on the very long wait list for all three at the library.

cathy said...

These tips get profiled on MSNBC often and I love to read them. I'll have to check the book out--if only to make myself feel better about what I don't eat. Some of the info is truly scary!