Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pineapple Orange Cake

I know this is a lame picture of the cake, but I hadn't cut into it yet, and then forgot to take a picture of a piece later. Hmmm...let me see if I can describe it to you.

Yellow cake with white frosting.

Can you picture it in your head?

I made this for dessert for Easter brunch. Less because we needed a dessert and more because I wanted to try it and it sounded, well, Eastery. Or springy at least.

I very rarely buy boxed cake mix, but this recipe got rave reviews on Taste of Home, seemed so quick and easy, and I had all the ingredients on hand. It was almost like dessert fate.

My review of this cake was that it was good. Like my recent crock pot chicken, this falls into the category of church potluck food. And while that category of food is typically not my favorite, it's still good eating and the ease of preparation gets bonus points as well.

Speaking of bonus, here's a tip I just saw on Taste of Home's website:

For a lighter, moister cake, use any flavor cake mix and beat in a 12 oz can of diet soda. Try lemon-lime soda with white cake or cola soda with chocolate cake. Do not add any other ingredients. Just mix and pour the batter into a pan and bake as usual. Top with fat free whipped topping instead of icing.

Interesting. I've never heard of such a thing. If you've tried it, or try it, please let me know!



Pineapple Orange Cake

1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
4 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

TOPPING:
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat whipped topping
In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oranges, egg whites and applesauce on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. In a bowl, combine the pineapple and pudding mix. Fold in whipped topping just until blended. Spread over cake. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
My notes: I only had pineapple chunks on hand, so I just gave them a whirl through the food processor and I think I actually liked not having big pieces of pineapple in the topping.

1 comment:

C Love said...

You're probably not surprised - have tried the soda cake. Good, cuts down on a lot of extra fat without eggs and oil. If I remember correctly, it doesn't rise as high but is very undry. :)