Friday, April 10, 2009

I did a really good job dyeing Easter eggs

I had hopes that with Banany and Meaty at 5 and 2 1/2 years old, this would be the year that Easter egg dyeing would be successful.

One night this week, after dinner, I got everything all ready and called the kids in to get started. They were excited at first, but after waiting at least 10 minutes for the little color tablets to dissolve (they never did fully melt into the water), and nearly knocking over all six cups of colored water, they were bored. And we hadn't even started.

Interest picked up a little bit once we could start dipping the eggs. But with only one "dipping device," we once again were bored. Meaty discovered the eggs would crack if he dropped them hard enough into the cup, so things perked up a bit for a few seconds now and then.

Within 5 minutes though, while I dyed all the eggs, J was teaching the kids how to flick the PAAS circle pop-outs (you know the pop-outs on the egg dyeing kit's cardboard box where you eventually can put your colored eggs?) off their elbows. They had way more fun doing that.

Maybe I'll just save those and next year we'll all just have a family circle flicking contest and skip the eggs.

Happy Easter!




















3 comments:

cathy said...

Great picture of Bananz! I can't/won't eat eggs in any way shape or form, so my poor deprived children have never known the egg-dyeing expereince. I felt pretty bad about it until I read your post. Since your fab kids weren't that into it, I don't feel so bad about not offering it to my fab kids.

ps--please plan a vacation to colorado.

Mrs. Cox said...

Sometimes when I plan these fun family projects, I end up asking myself, "Why?" Everything seems to go haywire!

Well, anyway, YOUR eggs look really nice. :)

Young Adventures... said...

Love the photos! Our egg decorating did not turn out to be that fun this year either.