Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thumbs up, Violette

I was really unorganized with my meal planning this week...which meant pretty much no plan whatsoever. I grabbed a package of chicken breast out of the freezer to thaw, but wasn't sure what I was going to make. I was low on groceries and short on time. I really don't like trying to throw an entire meal together in the 30-60 minutes before J gets home because that's the witching hour around here. Someone is often crying, whining or fighting, so I prefer not be trying to make dinner while I'm playing counselor, warden, or referee.

On a whim, I grabbed my Fix It and Forget It cookbook - which I'll be honest, I have not really been impressed with the recipes I've tried so far from this book (good choice then, huh?). But I really needed to fix it and forget it. I chose Creamy Cooker Chicken, submitted by Violette Harris Denney of Carrollton, GA.

You KNOW she brought this to many-a-church-potlucks.

I'm happy to report, I was very pleasantly surprised with this dish. While it gets zero points for creative name or aesthetic appeal, considering this has four ingredients, took about two minutes to make, and the kids ate it...I'll definitely make this again.

Way to go, Violette.


Creamy Cooker Chicken
1 envelope dry onion soup mix (I used beefy onion)
2 cups sour cream (I used light)
10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of celery)
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I had 3)
Combine soup mix, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup in slow cooker. Add chicken, pushing it down so it is submerged in the sauce. Cover. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.

2 comments:

jaxcart said...

Thanks for the BBQ chicken on the grill idea the other night. It was a huge hit. Molly ate as much as Joe and I did! - Jacqui

cathy said...

coming out of the closet to confess i get "fix it and forget it" at the library once a year and subject my family to lutheran pot luck recipes. i adore crock pot cooking, and this book saves my bum many a day. two thumbs up to you, viv.