Monday, April 6, 2009

Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

I actually posted a version of these muffins some time ago, but I've made enough changes to them that I wanted to re-post the updated recipe. Banany and I have been making these by the truckload. We schlepped some over to my parents house when my dad was sick. We make them for Banany's breakfast. We keep at least a dozen in the freezer since it's a great way to use up those brown bananas and they freeze so well. I just started playing around with the recipe and found the changes made some really good muffins! So here goes!



Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (I give these a whirl through the food processor first)
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Optional mix-ins:
1/3 cup chopped dates (from the original recipe, I've never made them with dates)
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
zest of 1 orange
couple squeezes of fresh orange juice
1/2 - 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I've used semi-sweet, milk chocolate, mini's...whatever you like)

In a large bowl, beat the bananas, sugar, applesauce, oil and egg until well blended. Combine the flours, oats, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in the mix-ins of your choice. Coat a regular muffin pan (12 cups) with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1 dozen.
My notes: My favorite mix in combos so far are: 1) walnut, raisin, orange zest (and maybe a squeeze of orange juice), and 2) orange zest and semi-sweet chocolate chips. These freeze great and the recipe is easily doubled.

No comments: