I made a couple of batches of scones for Easter this year. Since we were planning on a nice big spread, and it was just family, I decided to experiment a little bit. I used one recipe that I'd been wanting to try (the Cinnamon Oat Scones), and then made up one recipe (Orange Chocolate Scones). Both turned out well and I'd make them again.
I've made quite a few batches of scones in the last 2 years or so, but have never played around with anything other than baking and serving them immediately. I'd heard you can freeze some scones, but I'd never done it. Why not try it for a holiday meal while people are counting on you to bring something yummy? That's what I thought.
Fortunately for me, it turned out. I made the dough ahead of time, cut the scones into the shapes I wanted, placed them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and popped them into the freezer anywhere from 1-4 hours. Once they were more or less frozen (just so they didn't smush into each other), I moved them into a freezer Ziploc bag. When I was ready to make them about a week later, I thawed them in the refrigerator for several hours and then baked according to the directions. It worked like a charm.
I guess there isn't anything truly like a fresh baked scone right out of the oven, but this was a pretty darn close second place. And I loved being able to make them ahead of time. If you're really pressed for time, you can even bake them ahead of time, let them cool completely, and then freeze them. When you're ready to eat, just put them in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or so.
by Vivs!
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbl cold butter
zest of one orange
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbl cold butter
zest of one orange
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
1/2 cup of milk (any kind, I usually use skim, but whole for special occasions!)
juice of one orange, optional
1 egg, slightly beaten
water and extra sugar with orange zest mixed in for tops
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender, two forks/knives, or in food processor, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in orange zest and chocolate chips. Combine egg with enough milk to measure 2/3 cup; stir into the flour mixture, along with the orange juice if using, with fork just until mixture holds together. If you did not use orange juice, you may need to add just a touch more milk to hold the dough together.
1 egg, slightly beaten
water and extra sugar with orange zest mixed in for tops
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender, two forks/knives, or in food processor, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in orange zest and chocolate chips. Combine egg with enough milk to measure 2/3 cup; stir into the flour mixture, along with the orange juice if using, with fork just until mixture holds together. If you did not use orange juice, you may need to add just a touch more milk to hold the dough together.
Gently form into a ball with fingers; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 10-12 times. With floured rolling pin, roll dough into 3/4 inch deep circle. Cut into wedges (about 8 for fairly large scones), or use a circle biscuit or cookie cutter if you want a different size/shape.
Place onto an ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place that baking sheet onto a second baking sheet to prevent the bottoms from burning. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with sugar/orange zest mixture. Bake until lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes (10-12 minutes for the smaller/circular scones, 13-15 for the larger wedges).
1 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, but into 10 chunks
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup raisins (optional) or use a different add-in such as chocolate chips, dried apples, cranberries, pecans, cinnamon chips, etc.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Toast the oats. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until they are fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside 2 tablespoons of oats to use as scone topping.
Raise oven heat to 450 degrees F.
In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pulse 4 times to mix. Add butter chunks to flour mixture and pulse until mixture is the size of small peas.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, milk, and vanilla. Spoon out 1 tablespoon and set aside. You will use this for brushing tops.
Add the flour mixture and the oats to cream mixture and stir until almost mixed. Add the raisins (if using) and continue mixing just until mixture comes together in a ball.
On a lightly floured surface, shape the ball into a 7 inch circle (about 1 inch thick). With a floured knife, cut into 8 wedges, and place wedges 2 inches apart on a non-stick or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with reserved cream mixture and sprinkle with reserved oats and if desired, some sparkling sugar and extra cinnamon. Bake 14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
Serve warm. Makes 8
My notes: I did not use raisins - my only mix in was cinnamon chips. I also doubled up on my baking sheets to prevent the bottoms from burning. I do think I overbaked these a touch, so 14 minutes was a little long in my oven. I would just suggest, keeping an eye on them starting around 12 minutes or so.

4 comments:
Yum!! I can't wait to try these!
I love orange and chocolate!
Yum and Yummer!
I have made the pumpkin scones that you posted on your blog over and over again. We love them. (Only I use golden raisins or dried cherries instead of white chocolate chips.) I will have to give these scones a whirl!!!
Post a Comment