Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rosemary Focaccia

This spring, when I planted my container herbs, I bought a small rosemary plant. I love how rosemary smells and tastes and have kicked myself every year for not planting it. With the tri training, I scaled back on my cooking and baking, so the pretty herb just grows and grows.

Last week I was determined to use some rosemary. Since I didn't have a big rack of lamb handy, I decided to make some bread. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com that uses a bread machine to work the dough for you. Sold. Yeast and "dough working" make me nervous.

I don't have a fancy mixer, so any recipe that calls for a dough hook gets tossed aside. Any recipe that doesn't require me to have an exact temperature of water - thumbs up. Any recipe that says it will mix the bread for me in the bread machine I got 14 years ago - bonus. Dust that baby off and in go the ingredients.

I am very pleased with the results, though I thought the bread was just a tiny bit dry, but I think that was user error. So, next time I'll watch the cooking time a little closer. I also might add a bit more garlic to zip up the flavor more. I dipped this in extra virgin olive oil and pepper...YUM. I'm going to make another loaf or two and freeze them. Or eat them now.



Bread Machine Focaccia
by allrecipes.com

1 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary

Place water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, garlic, 1 tablespoon rosemary, bread flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle; press Start.
Remove dough from bread machine when cycle is complete (this was an hour and a half in my machine...so do this on a day when you're around!). Pat dough into either a 9x13 inch baking pan or 12 inch pizza pan. Use your fingers to dimple the dough every inch or so. Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with remaining rosemary.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Cover foccacia with plastic wrap while oven preheats (I didn't do this. The oven preheated while I did the above step and then I just put the bread in the oven).
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Tastes great dipped in extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper. A flavored olive oil would probably be great too!

No comments: