Monday, August 17, 2009

I Tri-ed!

Wow. I can't believe it's over.

I started training for this sprint triathlon at the beginning of May, working out as much as 27 days a month in those first few months. When I started, I was petrified of the entire race, but particularly of the swim leg. As we logged in hours at the pool, on the bike, and running, I began to get more comfortable and even saw my times improve. The training intensity peaked late July/early August and then we began to taper down in the last two weeks.

The countdown was on.

Finally, the night before the race arrived. We'd nervously been watching the weather all week, since it looked like storms were headed our way. We had thunderstorms and heavy rain on Saturday night, which didn't help my already restless sleep.


Race Day


Sunday morning at 4:20am, I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm. I ate some breakfast, drank some coffee and water, and waited for the girls (Hilary, her sister in law, Kate, and our neighbor Mali) to come pick me up. While I was waiting on my porch, the lightening started.

By the time we hit Starbucks drive through 20 minutes later, it was pouring rain.
Sure that the race would be delayed (it could be delayed up to 2 hours), and possibly cancelled,we were all about in tears that all of this training could likely end in a cancelled race. The weather forecast all morning looked horrible. Knowing that our husbands would be packing up the kids and making the hour drive to the race, we started making calls telling them to wait until we were there to let them know what was happening.

However, Mali's husband and J had a chance to check radar and saw that it looked like the weather was actually going to clear up and said they were on their way. We re-grouped, realizing this may actually happen.

We arrived at the course, checked in, got our ankle chips, body markings, and set up our transition area.

It was go time.

We headed down to the water and and got ready for our wave to be announced. We very nervously waited in the water, but it was so awesome that so many of us were in the same wave (categorized largely by age). It was so comforting to stand by the girls I knew and trained with and see our family and friends standing nearby to cheer us on.

Team Connor

We were all part of the Neurofibromatosis (NF) Endurance Team/Team Connor, organized by our long-time family friend, Kari, who raced along with one of her sisters. Kari's six year old son, Connor, was diagnosed with NF when he was one. Ironically, our family was also very closely touched by NF when our cousin Carly passed away from NF sarcoma when she was just 19 years old. We and our families all proudly wore the bright yellow NF tanks and t-shirts to show we were part of this team, support their family, and raise awareness of this disease.

Team Connor

The Swim

Knowing we were not going to be leading the swim pack, several of us opted to hang near the back of the wave of the 50-75 of us who would start this swim together. As we started, arms and legs are flailing, people are crashing into each other trying to find a position. I felt like I fought people off of me for at least the first 200 yards, but never did fully have my own comfortable space. The swim was incredibly uncomfortable . I wondered more than once if I could actually complete it and felt pretty discouraged since I'd become so comfortable with the swim in training. I was very relieved to finally get into shallow water and finish this leg.


Time for 500 yard swim = 13:24

Transition 1
We had a nice sized hill to run up out of the water into the transition area where our bikes were racked. I was in a bit of a fog as I got my socks, shoes, tank, helmet, tank, and glasses on. We were then required to run our bikes out of the transition area where we could hop on and start the bike leg.


Transition 1 time = 3:09


The Bike

After a discouraging swim, I lost a little of my confidence as I started my bike leg. I started feeling better as I was able to pass a number of riders who'd come out of the water before me. The bike course was extremely hilly, leaving me literally gasping for air at the top of a few of the monster hills. But coming into the end of the bike, I knew I'd probably done it in a time I'd feel good about.


15 mile bike = 53:03

Transition 2
Entering the transition area, we were required to get off our bikes and run a distance (25-50 yards maybe?) with our bikes to our assigned bike racks. If you've ever ridden a bike for a number of miles, you know that when you get off, your legs feel a little jello-ish. Mine definitely felt shaky and weird, making it very hard to run with a bike! I dumped my bike and helmet and threw on a hat and off I went.

Transition 2 = 2:02



The Run

Going into the run, I felt fairly confident that I could do this 3.1 mile leg at the end of the race. I'd improved my running time over the last few months, and had consistently been finishing the distance in 27-28 minutes. However, once I started up the first hill right out of the transition, I knew my pace was going to be much slower than I'd hoped. My legs were very tired and I was struggling to get my breathing under control. It took me a good mile and a half before I actually started to feel better. It certainly felt like a lot longer than a 3.1 mile run - I was so happy to see the finish line and the awesome crowd cheering us on.


3.1 mile run = 31.39




Finishing Time = 1:43:14

Overall Finishing Place = 86/466
Division Finishing Place (Ages 35-39) = 24/90


Team MAMBA
I knew it was unlikely I'd beat Hilary's time for this race. I had a chance on the bike, the only event where I could be a little stronger than her at times. But she nudged me out on each event, finishing 2 minutes and 36 seconds faster than me, dang it.

Way to go, Hil!


However, while we entered as individual participants, we also entered as a Sister Team. Our team name, MAMBA is the first letter of our collective 5 kids' names.


I am proud to say we managed to place third out of the 18 sister teams!


Afterthoughts

I'm still kind of on a high about this - it's kind of surreal. I had two goals, if you don't count wanting to beat my sister on the bike. One was to feel good about my times. The second was to feel that I'd left nothing on the table. I'm happy to have done both. I wish I'd gotten out of the swim faster and I am disappointed in my run time, but I am absolutely positive that I gave each leg 110%. Because of that, I'm very happy with my times - knowing that I gave it my all.


It was an awesome day and I am so happy that we had a chance to put all of that training to the test. Everyone had great attitudes, in spite of some bike problems for a few, which could have easily put them into a tailspin. I did not have or see one bad experience with a participant or volunteer, which is a great testament to the caliber of women who participated and men and women who volunteered.

Way to go everyone!


Me, Kate (Hil's sister-in-law), Hil, Mali (our neighbor) picking up our packets with our swim caps and numbers.

Race Day. Mali (in the red) and I setting up our transition area. We happened to get assigned race numbers close to each other so we were on the same rack.


We were in the third of nine waves - this is seconds before our start. It was fun because we're all about the same age, we all got to start together. We get issued identical swim caps, unless you opt for a "novice" swim cap which means you are less comfortable in the water.

And we're off! A few spectators said that our wave stayed together like a pack in the water for most of the swim - it definitely felt like that! I had people all over me the entire time.


Once we finished the swim, we had to run up a long hill into the transition area to suit up for the bike leg. This run was brutal.

Me coming in at the end of the bike leg. This was by far my "easiest" and best leg - not surprising since it was the piece I felt most comfortable with going into the race. We rented nice road bikes the day before the race - so glad we did!

Hilary getting a high five from her husband and boys at the end of her run. She was all smiles!


I apparently did not have the wherewithal to break into a smile for the cameras at the end of the run.




Another shot of me coming into the finish line.


Team MAMBA



Hil and I with our markings. They mark your participant number on your arm, calf and top of your hand; and your age on another calf.




Jas and I and the kids after the race. They were so tired - they had an early morning to make the drive out to the race.

Hil after the race. She actually looks refreshed!


Me and Hil talking race details after we finished. We'd done about 90% of our training together - it was weird not to actually be side by side in the race! I can't believe she didn't wait for me. :)


Banany made a bunch of signs for me and brought them to the race. They were awesome.






7 comments:

maxandpidge said...

Hol - YOU ROCK! So inspiring - all your hard work and training paid off. Wish I could have been there to cheer you on!

Heather said...

Great job! I can't believe the number of hours and miles that go into training....puts things in perspective for Olympians doesn't it???

I still totally can't believe you've turned into "one of those". Sigh. Not my thing. I'd rather act like a 12 year old in front of 1000 people every week. Oh wait.....

Bono said...

H...you are so amazing. I'm so proud to say i know u...can I have an autograph picture! Seriously I'm very proud of you...know that another J in Cali is so happy for you and your incredible accomplishments. Please pass along my congrats to Hil as well!

lil' mama said...

I love all the pics and details! You guys did great!

Young Adventures... said...

Congratulations! You are amazing!! What a great accomplishment.

C Love said...

You are an inspiration! Your accomplishment is amazing. Good for you!

Sally said...

I am so proud of you for all of the hard work, and for doing such a fantastic job.

It was such a thrill to watch you compete!

(I was so excited, I woke up at 4:30 too)