Originally, I was going to attempt a cute tractor cake for his birthday. Then, realizing I really didn't have time to do that, we started thinking about what kind of cake to do. J suggested an ice cream cake. Perfect. I found a simple recipe on allrecipes.com and just adapted it to fit Meaty's little taste buds...because one thing the boy got from his mama was a love of chocolate.
I went with a cookies and cream ice cream and Oreo crust. But there are countless variations you could do...vanilla ice cream with a chocolate chip cookie crust, chserry ice cream with a dark chocolate cookie crust, fruity ice cream with vanilla wafer or graham cracker crust...seriously, LOTS of options. I realize this is essentially a 9x13 pan of ice cream, but the extra goodies in it really do make it feel a little bit more special.
adapted by Vivi from allrecipes.com
1 package Oreo cookies (3 rows)
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 jars (maybe 16 oz?) hot fudge topping
1 gallon cookies and cream ice cream (I used about 3/4 gallon total)
whipped cream
2 jars (maybe 16 oz?) hot fudge topping
1 gallon cookies and cream ice cream (I used about 3/4 gallon total)
whipped cream
mini chocolate chips
Crush two rows of the cookies (inside frosting too!) to make crumbs. Combine crumbs with melted butter and press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Spread 1 jar of fudge topping over crust (I microwaved it so I could just pour it on). Freeze 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, soften the ice cream in microwave or on countertop. After crust has chilled, spread softened ice cream over fudge layer. Crush remaining row of Oreos and spread over ice cream layer. Spread second jar of fudge over cookie layer and freeze about 30 minutes, or until firm. Then, put a final layer of softened ice cream on top. I topped with mini chocolate chips, simply because the birthday boy loves them. :)
Freeze until firm, 4 hours or overnight (I froze overnight). To serve, garnish with whipped cream. Lots of whipped cream.
Crush two rows of the cookies (inside frosting too!) to make crumbs. Combine crumbs with melted butter and press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Spread 1 jar of fudge topping over crust (I microwaved it so I could just pour it on). Freeze 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, soften the ice cream in microwave or on countertop. After crust has chilled, spread softened ice cream over fudge layer. Crush remaining row of Oreos and spread over ice cream layer. Spread second jar of fudge over cookie layer and freeze about 30 minutes, or until firm. Then, put a final layer of softened ice cream on top. I topped with mini chocolate chips, simply because the birthday boy loves them. :)
Freeze until firm, 4 hours or overnight (I froze overnight). To serve, garnish with whipped cream. Lots of whipped cream.

2 comments:
As Map on Dora would say, "Yum, yum, yum! Delicioso!"
nice new blog decor!!! love it. and i love all the photos of your family. i'll have to try the ice cream cake. looks easy and affordable.
Post a Comment