Thursday, August 13, 2009

Gazpacho

Wow - it's been a really long time since I did a food post, hasn't it? That's how little I've been making anything new lately. Well, for that matter, making much of anything! And I know you are all more than competent to pour a bowl of cereal and do not need my step by step instruction on that.

Having said that, I know I'm going to lose some of you on this post, but bear with me and I'll try to make it up to you with some really good sweets! I realize cold tomato soup isn't going to be the hands-down winner, but I had to try it after my aunt ordered some at a restaurant last week.

The jury on this recipe is still out. I liked it, but I kind of felt like I either needed to dip tortilla chips in it, or warm it up. I felt a little bit like I was just eating a big bowl of salsa. But I did like it. I think I need to try "real" gazpacho and compare. But for now, this was easy to make and worth the try.

Quick Classic Gazpacho

2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, basil or cilantro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Process 1/2 cup of tomatoes, along with the water and oil, in a blender or food processor until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be made several hours before serving.)
My notes: Sherry vinegar is hard to find. If you've got balsamic or red wine, either of those will substitute just fine. I used balsamic. I added a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, based on another recipe I saw, as well as some fresh squeezed lime juice.

1 comment:

lil' mama said...

We had the BEST Gazpacho at Derek's wedding this past July. Luke wasn't a fan. He kept saying he needed chips for the fancy bowl of salsa. :) I'm definitely going to try this one. I love the cucumbers in it!