Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Ball

A long anticipated night finally arrived. Banany and J went to The Ball last night.

Our community education program hosted a Daddy/Daughter Valentine Ball for little girls of all ages and their dads. It was promoted as a special night for little princesses, with dancing and fancy desserts.

In the end, about 30 couples had signed up. Most of the dads were dressed up in at least nice dress shirts, but many had on jackets, ties, and even suits. A few of the little girls had corsages (how cute is that?).

And just $16 a couple would get you in the door.

What $16 buys you...
  • An evening in an elementary school cafeteria
  • A Las Vegas-esque wedding chapel trellis with fake roses and white lights
  • A dj who specializes in kids dances, teaching ballet, a box of boas, and doing a flip over 3 dads crouched down in a line on the floor
  • dancing with your dad to songs like "The Twist," "Stayin' Alive," "The Hokey Pokey," "The Chicken Dance," and "I Like to Move It, Move It"
  • Valentine cupcakes, cookies
  • All the Hawaiian punch you can drink
  • A treat bag for each girl, including a Valentine project, princess ring and wand, and candy

What a lot of love buys you...

  • 30 dads willing to spend an evening with their daughters
  • 30 dads willing to embarrass themselves by dancing in front of strangers (at one point, each dad had to go out in the center of the circle and dance...fortunately, my man knows how to do a backspin, and yes, that is what he did)
  • a chance for a mom to do her little girl's hair and dress her up like a princess...instead of a lion
  • a chance for a little girl to wear new sparkly shoes, a fancy dress, and fake jewelry
  • a dad who didn't hesitate when I asked him if he wanted to take her to The Ball, and then said he had a great time when they got home.

A night on the town

My princess, ready for the ball

Gettin' all sugared up for a night of dancing


Meeting some fellow princesses

The night got off to a slow start, since the DJ wasn't ready.
J may have reconsidered for just a split second.

My favorite Daddy/Daughter couple

10 comments:

Young Adventures... said...

How sweet!!! I know everybody says she looks like your hubby, but I do see you in her as well! :)

C Love said...

This is why Nat is glad he doesn't have girls - he would never do this (even if I begged). I think J is an amazing dad and your princess will remember this forever. What a special night!

lil' mama said...

Okay, I just teared up reading that. Very, very, very sweet post. Glad they had fun!

blessedby6 said...

Okay. I don't know why this post made me all cry-ie and emotional. What a special memory...for all of you!

Vivi said...

Girls, it was a room full of dads who adored their little girls. Why wouldn't that make us teary?!?!? :)

cathy said...

how sweet is that????

Kari said...

That is adorable! I am glad they had such a great time.
I also wanted to tell you that I really like how you have put all your recipies on the side in catagories! Isn't that just user friendly! You're the best VIVI!
: )

Bono said...

That is awesome. I'm thinking of dressing JD as a girl just so I can go to one of those. And well done on pulling out the back spin move during the dance, that is a true dad!!!!!

Hilary said...

I wonder if community ed will host a Smack Down night for moms and their little boys?

Mrs. Cox said...

What a night! Darling! Thanks for sharing the great pictures.