Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mini Bacon Cups

J came home from some friends of ours home some time ago and simply said, "You HAVE to get a recipe from C and make this bacon thing."

Well, I got the recipe and finally made it and he was right. These were outstanding.

Mini Bacon Cups
from our friend C

8 slices bacon
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 oz. shredded swiss cheese
1/2 c. mayo
1 tsp. dried basil
1 (16 oz) can grands flaky buttermilk biscuits
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan. In a skillet, cook bacon until evenly browned and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon into medium mixing bowl and mix with tomato, onion, swiss cheese, mayo and basil. Separate biscuits horizontally into thirds (I struggled a little bit with getting my thirds to be an even thickness, but they all cooked up just fine. Some of the "cups" were a little thicker than others, but all of them were fully cooked). Place each biscuit piece into prepared mini muffin pan (24 total).
Fill each biscuit with bacon mixture. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown.
My Notes: I sauteed my onion first (not sure if I needed to, but I was afraid it might taste raw). I didn't have tomato or red pepper, but I did throw in some green pepper. I forgot to saute that first, but it softened up just fine in the oven since I diced it fairly small. I used about 3 wedges of laughing cow swiss cheese, which mashed up easily in the mayo mixture because it's so creamy and soft. This is a very adaptable recipe - you can throw in whatever sounds good to you, although I do think the "must haves" are the mayo and bacon!

2 comments:

Young Adventures... said...

Yum! Susie makes something similar with phyllo cups. I will have to try these. You sure are adding to my collection of "recipes to make."

Sally said...

I so want to try these!!